New Boston Terrier Owner Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Boston Terrier Owner

Young Pup

Default New Boston Terrier Owner

Hi I'm Tanya I am new to the forum. This is my husband & mine's first time owning a Boston Terrier. Our baby Fritz is a 5 month old brindle. He has done really well with potty training & sleeping through the night until recently. Lately he has been waking up in the middle of the to go to the bathroom & after I take him out & put him in his crate, he starts to cry & bark. I usually ignore it but he continually barks & whines & its 3am & we live in a duplex, so I don't want to wake the neighbors. Today I got up let him out pet him for a minute & then put him back in his crate & he was fine. A little while later I got up to go to the bathroom he started barking again, even though my husband is still in the room with him. This is something that has just started recently, before this he was doing great. I know he is very attached to me, which I'm not complaining about but lately he seems to be really needy even when my husband is with him, he would prefer me. We have been walking him at night & exercising him, so he should be tired. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ps. Here is a photo of him, he just graduated from puppy class on monday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Molly as a 5 month old went many times during the night and I had too get up for work at 3am so she is still used to getting up then. I had luck with a crate cover, not just a blanket but a cover that fits the crate. She loved it and made the dark space her little place. It has a flap on the front that can close so it is completely dark, she still loves it and calms down immediately. She is now 17 months.

Oh, also your little guy is really cute!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Young Pup

Thank you. I tried the blanket over his crate & that seemed to work, so I will definitely be looking into a crate cover. Thank you for the suggestion. Have you ever had problems with Molly eating too fast? I think Fritz eats too fast, he will eat, run around & then puke. He has only done it a couple of times & if I stand and watch him eat he is fine, but if i walk away to do something I feel like he rushes to quick eat so he can see what I am doing.

Molly was also eating too fast, so what I tried was to put her amount for the meal aside and give her about a third of it at a time until she started eating slower. I would give her the first third and then walk a short distance so she still saw me but I was not paying attention to her. Then about 10mins later gave her another third of the amount and then 10mins later the last third. It was not very much at a time and soon she slowed down and didn't loose it after eating. (I feed dry) It took maybe two weeks to settle her down. Then I would give her half and walk away and finish the last half about 15mins later. When she was about 8mths old I cut her to only twice a day eating and she has been fine. Here is a picture of the crate cover, the picture is sideways for some reason. You can see the door rolled up on the top. And a picture of her in the crate way in the back!! If you click on
    the picture it will show bigger.
    IMG_0123.jpgIMG_0197.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Molly's Mom; 10-05-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Young Pup

Thank you so much. I tried your suggestion this morning & it seemed to work and he didn't get sick so hopefully that helps. Thanks so much for the crate cover pictures, I will definitely be getting one of those. Molly is such a sweet adorable little girl. Thanks again for all your advice. I really appreciate it.

Glad to help, just know what worked for us. Enjoy your cute little guy !!

I have a 6 month old BT and he throws after drinking water too fast. He eats really fast (like a hoover vaccuum!) as well. I've started adding water to his dry food and that has slowed his eating down which seems to have helped his throwing up after water for some odd reason. Glad to know mine isn't the only one!

+ Reply to Thread