Introducing Rufus. - Page 2 Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introducing Rufus.

Wow! Not quite 4 months old and already 15 lbs.? I would guess that he will be around 30-35 lbs. The general rule of thumb (give or take) is that your dog will be double the weight they are at 4 months. Ellie was around 15-16 lbs. at 6 months from what I can remember and she matured to be about 24 lbs. She's put on a little weight so she may very well be about 25 lbs. right now. According to the breed standard, they shouldn't be over 25 lbs. but it doesn't really matter so much if they're just a pet.

I too - like someone else noticed that one of his eyes looks larger and more 'bulgy' than the other one. I would definitely mention it to the vet and his next check up. Just because a vet gave him his shots, doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't something wrong with him - he could have told the breeder something during the exam that he noticed, but the breeder chose to not pass along the information to you. If you don't mind me asking - what kind of discount did he give you, as opposed to what he normally charges for puppies? I ask this because our puppy's breeder (we have 4 dogs, and one of them is a young puppy - she'll be 12 weeks on Friday) gave us Peanut for free because of her defect - she has a cherry eye, that will require surgery to fix, and it will be anywhere from $500-$2000 to correct depending on what route we take. She's a responsible breeder, and has never had problems with her puppies before, but she felt that because she had a problem, that may very well need life long specialized care (nothing too complicated but expensive vet visits, and eye medication and drops) that she didn't feel right taking money for her, not even a reduced amount. I got into contact with her after finding her web-site, she didn't even have Peanut listed for sale, but I inquired on a litter she had, which was all spoken for, and we got to talking back and forth and she asked if I might be interested in taking little Peanut, and after I saw pictures of her, I just fell in love with her and couldn't say no.

I really hope that he doesn't end up having any health issues. Maybe his eye just appears larger because he's very wall-eyed on one side? My older Boston, Ellie - she's more wall-eyed on one side than the other too.

Also regarding the chapped skin and bumps - he's pretty young to already be exhibiting these signs but it could very well be allergies - what are you feeding him? Most commercial brands of dog food are full of corn, grains, by-products, and fillers, which can effect dogs with a sensitive system very negatively. I have two French Bulldogs and two Bostons, one of my Frenchies has very bad food allergies, and has to be on a very limited diet, and my Boston - Ellie, she has a very sensitive stomach. If you haven't already - I'd definitely check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com and view the 5 and 6 star foods. I feed my dogs a rotational diet, and use Innova EVO (herring&salmon, and red meat), Taste of the Wild (Wetlands, High Prairie, and Pacific Stream), and also Orijen (Regional Red). Louie gets a morning meal of commercial raw a few times a week made by Nature's Variety, and I also make them a home cooked meal once a week - I cook them a roast in the crock pot with carrots and potatoes.
    Trish & the gang
    Louie, Kirby, Ellie, & Peanut

Thanks everyone. We will keep you updated after his appt on Thursday.
    Click here to enlarge

he's super cute! congrats!

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Trish,
    Thanks for the great response. This breeder has a really good reputation, and has sold us our previous boston chloe. He also has sold 3 bostons to one of our local friends, and they have all been top notch. He gave us Rufus for half price, and all of his shots were covered as well. we also get a discount at a vet close to us, and he warranties the pup for one year (for hereditary defects). He also will honor a full refund for 2 weeks after purchase. We have all of this in our contractual agreement with him. He is very proud of his reputation as a breeder, and I dont think he would try to get one over on us. Our vet appt is tomorrow afternoon, and I will be sure to get a full scoop on Rufus's questionable traits. Rufus has a documented lineage through United kennel club, so I am sure he is 100% boston. I will def keep you guys posted tomorrow. Thank you so much for the help and feedback.. Boston lovers are like an extended family!Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Just got back from the vet. Rufus is in good health. His eye just looks weird because it seems like its wandering off, but it is perfectly ok. He does have some skin issues, he had some tests run and they were all good, so he is on an antibiotic and should be fine. We are extremely happy that everything went well, and glad that our new family member is healthy and happy, and that we could give him a life long home.Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

That is wonderful news! I am so happy that Rufus is healthy. Click here to enlarge Woohoo!
    Trish & the gang
    Louie, Kirby, Ellie, & Peanut

sue

Great!!!!
    Click here to enlarge

Just got word back from the lab today that he has an intestinal parasite Ghiardia or something like that lol. Chloe had it and was a hot mess. Rufus dosent seem to be showing any signs of having it, but the vet knows, so hes gonna get his meds on monday.
    Click here to enlarge

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12