Newby From Kelowna BC Canada Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newby From Kelowna BC Canada

Default Newby From Kelowna BC Canada

Hi Everyone.
    New to this forum and to the Boston Terrier breed. We just got an 8 week old male yesterday and came across this forum while trying to get educated about BTs. I have numerous friends who have BTs and they seem to be an awesome breed. I've had Boxers and other small Terriers over the years and from what I've seen and heard from friends the BTs are the best.
    I already have a concern however. He seems to have very narrow nostrils. He seems healthy and happy when he's up and about but when he's asleep he looks as though he's pulling hard to get air in. He snorts quite a bit when eating and playing. Is this normal for this breed or should I be concerned?
    Thanks in advance.[IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]
    [IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]
    Last edited by FF 070; 05-08-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Young Pup Jazmine's Shinning Star's Avatar

Congrats on ur new pup!

I have a seven month old, when i got her at 8 weeks old i was worried to, i asked the vet and he said it was ok becuz all flat faced breeds are the same just to be careful of not letting her over heat or get to excited.

Thanks for the quick post Jasmine. The breeder also told me that this would likely improve as he got older. Hope so!

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

His nostrils don't look very pinched to me, you run into a problem when there is not a very big opening beneath the nostril, and his look nice and open down there, so I don't think you have much to worry about. Snoring, snorting and all those noises are very common for the breed and all brachycephalic (flat faced) breeds. They're very heat sensitive, and prone to over heating very easily, so its important to keep them inside, in the air conditioning during warm temperatures, and limit the time they spend outside. Heat stroke can come on very quickly, and is deadly.

Your little guy is very cute! Our youngest is 17 weeks right now.. they grow up so quickly! My name is Trish and my husband and I live in Ohio in the US. We have four dogs - two French Bulldogs and two Boston Terriers... so needless to say there's never a dull moment around our house! Click here to enlarge
    Trish & the gang
    Louie, Kirby, Ellie, & Peanut

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Trish Click here to enlarge
    His nostrils don't look very pinched to me, you run into a problem when there is not a very big opening beneath the nostril, and his look nice and open down there, so I don't think you have much to worry about. Snoring, snorting and all those noises are very common for the breed and all brachycephalic (flat faced) breeds. They're very heat sensitive, and prone to over heating very easily, so its important to keep them inside, in the air conditioning during warm temperatures, and limit the time they spend outside. Heat stroke can come on very quickly, and is deadly.

Your little guy is very cute! Our youngest is 17 weeks right now.. they grow up so quickly! My name is Trish and my husband and I live in Ohio in the US. We have four dogs - two French Bulldogs and two Boston Terriers... so needless to say there's never a dull moment around our house! Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Trish for sharing your knowledge. Four Dogs...obviously not a Cat lover! (LOL) Greatly appreciate your help. I'll pass your compliment along to ???Cosmo or Sawyer???...we haven't quite decided on his name yet. I'm sure he'll be flattered. Two days in and I'm so impressed and so attached to the little guy.

Welcome to the forums!
    I wouldn't worry about the nostrils, although see what your vet says.
    Congrats on the pup, he's darling!

He looks like a Cosmo to me.. I've always loved that name! Can't wait to see more pictures of him and to hear all about him as he grows! Click here to enlarge
    Trish & the gang
    Louie, Kirby, Ellie, & Peanut

Round Head

Aww He is so sweet. Welcome to the forum. What is his name?

Welcome from a fellow Canuck! Damn adorable puppy!!

Uma's got quite the flat face and she eats and plays while snorting away. I wouldn't worry unless it seems to be affecting his breathing. Definitely watch him in the heat, they'll lie in the sun forever if you let them.

Click here to enlarge

Thanks for all the kind words and advice everyone. It looks as though he's gonna be dubbed, Sawyer. Both my teen boys and wife think Cosmo sounds like a magazine. They're not Seinfeld fans. I prefer Cosmo myself. Three days in and I have to say he's one smart little guy for only 8 weeks old. Only one "wee" accident on the floor and that was our son's fault, I mean it was our son's fault the dog had the accident, it wasn't our son that had the accident. (Just thought I'd clarify that.) Crate training is going great. We let him out and he heads straight for the grass and does his jobs. He loves the praise and treat that follows. Lotsa fun so far.Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by FF 070; 05-09-2010 at 03:03 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast