Hello, I was adopted by a Boston!!! Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello, I was adopted by a Boston!!!

Young Pup

Default Hello, I was adopted by a Boston!!!

Hello,

I am new to the forum & wanted to introduce myself. I have recently moved to a new area on a farm & last Friday, I had a cute little Boston show up! That is why I say he had adopted me! LOL
    My immediate neighbors have no idea who he might belong to and I had no response to the ad I listed so far and I don’t not see any flyers or anything to indicate he is being looked for at all. One thing though when I had called the local vet, he said there is a local Amish breeder that recently rented a male to breed with their female but the pups were born over 2 weeks ago. (Immediately, I am thinking puppy mill, maybe)
    However, he showed up with a shock collar on him, very scared of everything. Normal houehold activty really frightened him and the TV really threw him for a loop. He also would stand very still like a statue almost, even falling asleep like that and he really didn’t know what to do at first when we would fuss over him. He does not know any basic commands at all and he has not made any sound except little snorts & grunts. He has not barked, whined or even a whimper.
    But, he is still the sweetest little guy despite all of this and he is smart because he is picking up on things quick! I now get a full butt wiggle when he sees me and got my first kiss last night and that was even after torturing him with a bath! Click here to enlarge
    I have been calling him Tiny because he is just so little compared to my other dogs.
    But I wanted to join a Boston forum to learn as much as I can about them because I also belong to other breed forums and I think the best info comes from fellow breed owners.
    I also have a Chow, Bear who loves him and accepted him right away and an English Bulldog, Bluto that has special needs that isn’t so great with him yet but I will continue to work with him. Bluto was a rescue that came with a lot of medical & behavioral issues but is doing better. I would love to keep this little sweetheart as along as everyone can get along OK. I would feel horrible if Tiny got hurt though. Right now I have been rotating Tiny & Bluto and doing short periods of them together because my EB gets himself all worked up that he can hardly breathe. They are all males & Tiny is not neutered but is not aggressive at all towards other dogs. He was so happy to see Bear when I first introduced them. I think it will take time for Bluto & Tiny but we will give it a good try because I don’t think anyone is looking for the little guy.
    Any suggestions or any info to help me care for him better will be greatly appreciated!!!
    Thanks and I look forward to learning all about Boston’s!!!

Here is Tiny when he first got to my home!
    Click here to enlarge

Welcome!! And a BIG thank you for rescuing Tiny! He's adorable!

Click here to enlarge

Poor little guy, he looks so scared.
    Click here to enlarge

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

A shock collar! I wouldn't let him go back to someone that would do that do him. Any idea how old he is?

Young Pup

I know...If someone would claim him, he would have a hard time getting him back from us. It is terrible how scared he is and to have a shock collar on him is horrible!!! I have been told in PA if you attempted to find the owner and you provided all care for him, and they do not claim within 48 hours, you can legally keep as yours if you choose. I will definitely be choosing to do so if they have the guts to try to claim him!!!! Click here to enlarge

I think he is an older guy. His teeth are worn down and he has trouble eating hard foods. I will be taking him to the vet on Saturday and hopefully he will be able to give me an idea of how old he might be.

He also has callouses on his hind legs like he has been laying on a hard surface for awhile. The poor boy didn't even know how to take a treat from my hand!!! He did learn quickly though after finding out how good cheese tastes! LOL

sue

what a poor sad story with a happy ending!!! Thank you.
    Click here to enlarge

Welcome! He's so cute! He was very lucky to land on your doorstep! Keep us posted on how things develop with Tiny and your other dogs.

yay you!!! that's so fabulous - I am glad he found a loving family Click here to enlarge Its nice to hear that your Chow accepted him immediately! My sisters Chow hates pretty much all other dogs - maybe because he's older? and I always thought of adopting one some day, but didn't know if I should because hers is so unaccepting of my dog...
    Anyway! I'm so happy for little Tiny and you!

All-American Dog BostonBellaButton's Avatar

Welcome and congratulations on your new rescue puppy!
    Click here to enlarge

Young Pup

Thanks for the welcome! I will definitely keep you updated on Tiny. He is the sweetest little guy and has learned to love cheese! LOL I will be taking him to the vet on Wednesday to get him checked out. I was hoping for the weekend but they couldn’t fit him in. But he seems to be doing OK. I have been trying to get him to play. He has chewed on a few but once they squeak, forget it, he is done! It scares him. He doesn’t know how to play with me but at least he is starting to come around by chewing for a few minutes on a toy.

MochaLove……. I really think it depends on the Chow. I believe they all have that protective and guarding instinct and some take it to the more extreme. I have always said Bear has short man syndrome. If the animal is taller than him, he has issues but if they are smaller than him he loves them! If I refer to them as babies, he takes care of them, watches over them and really worries about them. He loves my daughter’s ferrets and we had to name one “Baby” because of Bear. LOL
    We also currently have 22 baby chicks and Bear worries sick over them. I have to take him out on the porch to them so he can check on them and he will also give them kisses. I was really surprised how he loves the chicks!!! He is like the Mother Hen of the crew. He will also come get me if something doesn’t seem right to him or if Bluto is into something he shouldn’t be. The Chows are very smart but very different from other breeds. You really have to earn their respect basically and if you accomplish that, they will do anything you ask them to, within reason of course, although I still have to fight with Bear over a bath! Click here to enlarge He will be 10 in September and he actually got better as he aged. He was worse with his guarding when he was younger but has really mellowed. He still has to know where everyone is and that all is OK. He does seem to have more issues with strange people than animals. I have to be careful with having new people in the home. Some he likes and others he wants to eat them. I would say, most times he is right on by knowing the good people from the bad (such as daughter’s boyfriends! Click here to enlarge ) I think you would really like adopting a Chow. If you do decide to look for one, They might be standoffish at first and may take some time because they really do seem to pick their person and are very loyal to them and it would take time for you to become “their person” but it will happen. Please let me know if you decide to adopt a Chow!!!

+ Reply to Thread