Getting my BT puppy Dec 1st! - Page 2 Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Getting my BT puppy Dec 1st!

Sorry for the forever delayed reply...I'm not going to explain myself, I will however try to explain the situation. I have been looking for a boston for over a year now..Rescues WERE an option, but then I thought long and hard..I have a 3 year old, she does amazing will ALL animals, so it is not her who I am concerned about. I have been horribly worried over getting any dog from a shelter and not really knowing they dogs background. The owners who surrendered the dog could have lied up a storm about "how great the dog is" or "great with children"..Maybe that IS the case for a while, but a dog could turn on anyone..and I don't want to take a risk. Now, I'm sure by saying that you're thinking "this girl is an idiot...she's getting a dog from a puppymill/commercial breeder..the genetics could be absolute crap and her dog could have a plethora of issues like any dog from a rescue is". Second reasoning is I want a puppy, I want this because I want to create a strong human-canine bond that starts at puppyhood and travels into the dogs late years.

I, in all honestly *thought* I did my research, I *thought* I spoke with enough breeders, and I put my trust in the person who I purchased my puppy from. I have gone through up's and down's finding the EXACT boston I want..One woman, who had her 5 month old boston for adoption didn't even remove his dewclaws yet (what was she thinking?!)..She couldn't give me a straight answer on the parents of her puppy's weights..I hung up. Next person I spoke with regarding their bostons..gave me pretty much the same crap..Could not answer my questions, and had me going in circles...THEN I found the "breeder" of my puppy... I spoke with him over emails, and phone calls. He was able to answer EVERY single question with zero hesitation. He sent me photos upon request right away (and continues sending me photos without me even asking), and he also sent me video. There was only 1 other boston in my puppys litter..a little girl. I saw video of her as well, and how my puppy plays with her. I believed in this guy (the breeder), He just made me feel SO at ease.

Next thing, I know what a puppymill is, it just didn't feel like this guy was running one..I have been to a puppymill in person..If you have ever heard of the HUGE puppymill bust in Monroe,WA...I was at that womans house..I was one of the people who called authorities after seeing the condition of the dogs (probably 15 dog cramped in a tiny pin out side in 25 degree winter weather..no food, no water.) I took one of the dogs, thinking I "saved him". He had been the most amazing,loving dog anyone could ask for..no one believed he came from a mill.. This transaction I made with this BT breeder just seemed so much different, SO much different. I could have gone to Oklahoma to pick up my puppy at his kennels, I learned a few people have..But I work so much, and just cannot take the trip out there..

I understand you both, along with many others who are passionate about this breed, and I understand it frustrates you to see another person throw money at a mill..I had NO idea that this was a mill, and if I did, I would have backed away immediately.
    Boston Terrier FTW!

American Gentleman

I had a long reply typed out and decided to delete it..you have already purchased the dog, so I'm just going to wish you luck and I hope the puppy is everything you expect it to be.

If you don't mind, what is the name of the breeder you used?
    The suspicion is on a certain breeder which there is a long thread on here about with some good reviews and some not so good reviews...

Thank you guys for posting all this info and the links!! Both of you have the best advise on this forum and I read all your posts to get the info I need for my little BT Opie. I personally have no idea where my BT came from, I adopted him from the SPCA in Saskatchewan Canada and I hope that he is perfectly healthy and leads a long happy life!! It horrible that there are dogs in shelters that are so unhealthy, and mistreated. Its great that there are people out there educating new dog owners like myself and Chelsea so we can make the right decisions for ourselves and our puppies!

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Yes--there are crappy shelters out there. I work for a really excellent one. There are quite a few good ones in our region as it's a very dog-friendly place. But I do hear tales of the high-kill places, especially in the South, Texas, and in 'the middle' where the dog population is out of control due to idiots not believing in spaying or neutering. Sigh. It's sick.

Chelsea--I believe this guy is a commercial breeder. He is probably better than a mill, though the numbers are not good. At my shelter, we have up to 25 dogs. We have 5 shifts per day, 1-4 people per shift for the dogs ALONE for walking, training and loving and feeding. And it's barely enough. Imagine a facility with 45-50 dogs producing puppies. Breeding and raising litters requires a LOT more time. That's the main reason why I include 'USDA Certification" as a red flag for irresponsible breeding practices whenever I make a list of what to look for in a breeder. Producing more puppies than you are willing to take back for life is irresponsible. I may be extreme, but that's from working in a shelter where I see 10 month old dogs dropped off because people have no idea what taking care of a puppy means. If they had gotten their dog from a real breeder, that would be an empty kennel in my shelter because the breeder would have included in the contract that puppies and dogs must return to them for any reason if they need to be rehomed (like allergies--the second most common reasons dogs get dumped). I WANT to make what I do obsolete!

Anyway, enjoy your pup--and chalk this up as a learning experience. If it helps, I got a pup from a pet store eons ago. That was how *I* learned. And why I try not to attack people--we all make mistakes. We are all here as you move into training Click here to enlarge And I do know some excellent classes in the area and trainers who are wonderful. Both in Seattle and on the Eastside.
    Click here to enlarge

Young Pup

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone know about Zuran show dogs breeder (http://zuranshowdogs.com/). As we plan to buy a dog from this breeder and don't want to support puppy mill or back yard breeder. Please advise.
    Last edited by lena; 12-07-2011 at 05:26 PM.

American Gentleman

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lena Click here to enlarge
    Hi,

I am wondering if anyone know about Zuran show dogs breeder (http://zuranshowdogs.com/). As we plan to buy a dog from this breeder and don't want to support puppy mill or back yard breeder. Please advise.
    You might get a better response by starting your own thread.

I'm not familiar with that breeder, but by the looks of the website that is not a mill or BYB and they have good looking BT's...they don't show any of the ones for sale, but I'd guess they are good quality BT's. Are you getting a retired breeder, retired show dog or a puppy?

The site isn't so great, but you should be going to them to visit first--see if their dogs have personalities you like. Check out how they live, etc. The BT's are lovely.
    Click here to enlarge

Young Pup

Thank you for the responses. I am going tomorrow to see the breeder and meet the pup (6 month old), 5h one way from me but I want to see the pup in person Click here to enlarge.

American Gentleman

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lena Click here to enlarge
    Thank you for the responses. I am going tomorrow to see the breeder and meet the pup (6 month old), 5h one way from me but I want to see the pup in person Click here to enlarge.
    So likely a show candidate that didn't grow into what they expected....good for you for making the drive to go out there and see them in person, a reputable breeder would require that and would want to know a lot about you to make sure you are the best home for their pup. I agree, their website isn't great...but show breeders don't usually advertise their pups for sale and so they wouldn't have much info on the site. Looks more like a site where they are showing off their show dogs than selling for profit.

Here is some info http://www.littlebeasts.com/boston-t...der-guide.html
    http://sekcszoo.web.officelive.com/p...yersguide.aspx
    http://widgetbostons.com/PBG.htm

Chelsea, I take my Bostons to work everyday with me. Roxie, who is 14 and Rose, who is 2. They go everywhere with me. I don't even have collar or a lead on them. I will always have a BT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast