Pre-Adoption Questions/Help! Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pre-Adoption Questions/Help!

Young Pup

DefaultPre-Adoption Questions/Help!

Hey guys!So I've been doing a ton of research and I think a Boston Terrier is the breed for me. I'm single, in my late 20s living in an apartment alone. I was looking at French Bulldogs for a bit (I just love the squished up faces) but Bosties seem a little more fitted towards my life.In the midst of all of the research I've been doing and different opinions I've read online, I've run into some questions. So I work M-F at a 9-5 job...right now, we are working from home, but eventually will have to go back to the office. When that happens, I've been trying to prepare and come up with a plan for what I would do with my Bostie. I have a few options....-Doggie Daycare-Hire a dogwalker to come by mid-day to check on it-Leave a tiny bit earlier for work (my office is about 10-15 min away), drive back for lunch to visit and go for a little walk, maybe get home a tiny bit later. Just to fill out the total 8 hours I'd need to be at the office-Bring it to my parents' house during the day, which would be most ideal since it's free haha. They have two dogs, one of which isn't the most friendly towards other dogs but can be tought to tolerate it. So that would be a bit of a process of teaching him to warm up to the new pup.-Maybe bring it to my office one day, if they allow it and the dog can learn to relax and not keep me from being productive.-And worst comes to worst, just leave it at my place during the day. Not ideal by any means, but I've seen that it is possible and workable for a typical workday with Bostons.Daycare or dogwalkers every day M-F would add up pricewise, so I might do it one or two days, mixed with some of those other options for the other days. I'm thinking I'll do some sort of combination of the above options in a typical week. Which brought me to some questions....1. Is there a way to teach a Boston to be okay with both? Teaching it to be okay with being alone for a work day if it has to happen every now and then, as well as okay with being in a couple of other different places throughout the week (during the day)?2. Would it be a good idea to adopt one now while I'm working at home for at least another month, or will that make the transition harder when I'm having to go back to the office? Should I wait until it's about a week or two away from going back to the office?3. If I do have the option to bring it to work some....do any of you guys have experience with that? Do they chill out for a bit and make it possible to work?4. Also, crate training....when I'm training it to be alone at my place (just in general, even if it's just for a few hours), would I need to start out with crating it and then transition into letting it hang outside the crate?A lot of questions I know, but just trying to cover all of my bases and fully prepare!

Young Pup

Dont forget steel dog bowls for your pet.

Young Pup

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jimmiles Click here to enlarge
    Dont forget steel dog bowls for your pet and this review https://pawsnose.com/best-stainless-steel-dog-bowls.
    Seems interesting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Young Pup

Red faceBoston Terrier pup

You tube has a lot of very helpful videos for new dog owners, in general. New puppies are a lot of work as well as fun, so there is no one answer . My Boston started out tiny at 3 pounds when I got him, and now is a bullmoose at 20 pounds. I have to watch him constantly to be sure he does not eat inedible things, such as tree bark, any bit of plastic he finds, etc. He is 6 months old now, and truly I did not know what I was in for. I will say he has woken me up, and keeps me active and alert. LOL I do have a crate for him, but prefer to keep him in a baby "corral" when I have to leave him. Evenflo makes one I love which has multiple gate type openings, and enough room for his bowls, bed and a pad if needed. Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread