6Month BT eats things off the ground! Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6Month BT eats things off the ground!

Young Pup

Default 6Month BT eats things off the ground!

Hello,We have a 6 Month old Boston Terrier and are having challenges with the outdoor training.He tends to eat everything on the ground. Wood chips most commonly which may be chemically treated.We have tried the traiing with the Leave It and when he is outside....he still doesnt always listen. He has puked in his kennel 3 times this week alone due to eating a small piece of wood since it is hard to catch. We are trying to allow him to fulfill his sniffing needs, but now I am constantly paranoid that he is going to eat something.This is making me and my partner not want to take him out.We live in a complex where the other dog owners have been very recently complacent and lazy when it comes to picking up after their pet. He has lunged to eat other dog feces and it made him sick. We try to watch him like a hawk and it is really making it difficult to want to take him out and to enjoy training him.He has been really good indoors with listening to the commands..but outdoors...his impulse is too strong and socializing has been difficult during COVID>. We have taken him to puppy care where he can run wild with other dogs.But its not enough.We have also taken obedience training for the basic stuff. But this one issue is causing a lot of frustration.Any ideas anyone?!!!I appreciate you reading!!

I know how frustrating it can be! My Boston eats my other dog's feces and other things off the ground like grass clumps as well and it makes her sick which makes her throw up which makes us sick! I found this thing called the OutFox Field Guard (I hope it's okay to add a link here): https://www.outfoxfordogs.com/ It is basically a mesh muzzle, but it goes around the dog's entire head, so it's more comfortable. I almost bought it, but I decided to wait because it's quite expensive and my Boston is listening to the Leave It command off leash pretty well for me right now. Keep working on the Leave It command, gradually increasing the difficulty. Start with one treat on the floor (give him a different treat from your pocket as a reward for leaving it), then combine it with the Come command if he's doing well, then add more treats, then maybe move to a porch outdoors on leash, etc. Set him up for success! And always keep treats in your pocket! I hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread