Umbilical hernia on a new puppy Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Umbilical hernia on a new puppy

Young Pup

Default Umbilical hernia on a new puppy

We are considering adopting a 10 week old male boston pup with a small umbilical hernia. He was just taken to the vet for a routine checkup. Very healthy except for the hernia. I've628818529_1607137354392.jpg attached a pic of it. The vet said it's small and may or may not close up on its own. A surgical intervention mat be needed at the time it's ready to be neutered (can be done at the same time).

Considering we are long term owners of a 14 year old boston who never had any health problems, will this umbilical hernia have any ramifications in his health in the short or long term?

Anyone know if this is a common occurrence among the breed and if it's an easy procedure to correct. We ready like this pup but want to make sure it's something that's relatively benign. He will only be a family pet, no plans on using him as a stud.

Also, if a surgical repair is necessary, how much on average would it cost? 628818529_1607137354392.jpg

Young Pup

Sorry I don't have any experience with this but I would reach out to your vet and ask their opinion. Hope it all works out!

Young Pup

So odd... we just learned today the boy were meant to bring home has the same issue also boy also 10 weeks... What a small world- seems fairly common.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

My puppy had a similar problem.The cost of the operation was around $ 100.

+ Reply to Thread