Puppy Pee Pads Good / bad idea? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Pee Pads Good / bad idea?

Default Puppy Pee Pads Good / bad idea?

When we had our first dog we had the pads but as she missed the pad most of the time we ended up running outside every half hour with her.

When we got Badger the weather was so bad that it did not seem fair to make her go out (when the snow was taller than she was) So we just carried on with the pads and now it is very difficult to get her to go outside. I read that by using the pads you are telling the pup that it's ok to go in the house and they should not be used.
    Any thoughts on the matter?

We tried the pads once, and our Guinness chewed them up while we were gone. We have wood floors, so it was easy to clean up the accidents. I would crate train Badger and keep an eye on him when you are home. I think Guinness only had a couple accidents in his crate. He quickly realized that he didn't want to sit in his pee all day.

I agree, that by using the pads you are telling the pup that it's ok to go in the house and they should not be used. Just my .02 cents!

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by P&GsMama Click here to enlarge
    We tried the pads once, and our Guinness chewed them up while we were gone. We have wood floors, so it was easy to clean up the accidents. I would crate train Badger and keep an eye on him when you are home. I think Guinness only had a couple accidents in his crate. He quickly realized that he didn't want to sit in his pee all day.
    Yes she is crate trained and has not done it in her bed for a long time.. We have now taken the pads away and I'm watching her like a hawk.. (Whilst typing this I missed one) Click here to enlarge

Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada

When we got Oogy at 10/11 weeks he was pad trained (mostly). We had a pad at each of the main doors that he would use and then moved the pad outside after the first couple daysto help teach the dog that the new place to go was outside(where the pad was now). It was difficult with a few feet of snow on the ground but we managed.

I agree with the thinking that a pad indoors can teach the dog that going potty inside is okay (so long as they are standing on something padlike).

Good luck, Liberty. And Badger!

I feel the same way about the pads. You could always tether her to your side with a short leash so she cant sneak off and pee until she grasps the idea she needs to pee outside. Braverdaves idea sounds great! When you do take her out, does she want to play or will she pee? If she wont go after 10 minutes or so, take her back in and put her in her crate for 5 minutes or so, and repeat the process until she goes outside. Major praise and treats for when she does go outside. If you havent already, make sure to get a good enzyme cleaner otherwise she'll keep peeing where she can smell it inside.

Dave and Ginnafer have some great strategies for this problem!!!

Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada

And try to take the dog to the same spot to do their business to remind them why they are outside.

And when we moved the pad outside it was a used/stinky pad and we left it their pinned under a rock under a bush until we took the pad away and the bush became the pad.

And like Ginnafer said, tell them what good dogs they are when they go potty outside and give them treats too. It got so with Oogy that after he had gone potty outside that when we came back in he would rush over to where the treats are kept.

Dogs are smart. We just have to be a bit smarter.

It's all coming together and last night she went to bed at 12.30 am and slept until 8am where I took her out and she pee'd on the pad. Then I fed her and she stopped eating half way through and went to the door so I took her outside where she did the rest of her business (only unfortunate incident is that in the missle of it a neighbor walked past and she thought it was more important to follow than finish)! She gets tons of praise and a little treat when she goes outside.

I then took both dogs out and she did a bit more Click here to enlarge

We have no grass near the house so i have put the pad on the path outside the front door and will continue to do so until we can get her to the local park.

(The joys of Living in London)!!!

Glad it's all working out with Badger!!

Thats all I have to say, everyone covered it all, thats a change, I have nothing to say, simply amazing!! Click here to enlarge LOL!! Good job guys!!Click here to enlarge

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast