Puppy Growling and Snarling At Us? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Puppy Growling and Snarling At Us?

Default Puppy Growling and Snarling At Us?

Hello all! We have 2 Bostons, Lilly who's 2 and Olive our 11 week old. Great Sweet dogs, love cuddling and playing.

Olive is full of Moxie and very playful. The Breeder mentioned when handing her to us that she can have a little attitude. So we laughed and said oh that's cute. But... lol

She loves to sleep on us while downstairs on the couch, and god forbid we have to get up or move her. Right now I want to state we say her name and make her alert that we are right there, and slowly pick her up.
    She will growl, and if you don't put her down it escalates. She will get more growly and angry and try to snap at you.

Its not just when she is woken up, last night my husband was holding and petting her and then went to give her a kiss and she snapped at him. I have googled the crap out of this and not much has come up. And no one agrees on one solution.

We have been holding her on our lap till she calms down and telling her a firm no.

I kinda feel like when I ignore it, it goes away faster the growling, then when I confront it. But I really am nervous, she is gonna be a 20 pounder. I don't want someone to wake her up wrong someday and she bites them.

Our other Boston Lilly never ever has done that. Is it normal puppy behavior? I really don't think so, but maybe she will grow out of it??

Anyone ever experienced this before? I do think its mostly when she is tired and grouchy.

And I know someone will say maybe don't move her or kiss her. But in this case I don't think she should get to call the shots. And poor Lilly she gets so upset when Olive starts freaking out. Lilly will jump up and get in the middle, lick my face.

I guess I am trying to see who's had this happen before and what did you do about it and did it ever go away?

I have noticed if I scoot her around using the blanket instead of picking her up, she does not growl. Oh by the way I can touch her all I want when she is sleeping and pet her, just not pick up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe its just a phase?

Young Pup

Our 6 month old Typsie acted up a a few times when waking her and I addressed it as the bad behavior was happening. Basically you're the boss, the pack leader if you will. We did have to submit her a couple times and now we have no problems. But our household sounds like yours, when Typsie would get upset, it would drive our other dog crazy. By submitting I mean laying her on her side on the floor with two fingers poking her neck. The same as her mother would do. Not hurting her, mind you. Just showing her who's boss. The growling and carrying on is her way of telling she means business. If you show them it scares you, it enforce the bad behavior. You have to hold her down until she sighs out, by that time her mind set will have changed. Good luck with Olive! And keep us posted. She's sounds like quite a pistol! Lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Young Pup

I don't have any advice but am definitely going to follow this thread. Axel, my 12 week old does the EXACT same thing. He has even snapped at people a couple times. We make sure we do the same thing, letting him know in advance we are picking him up or moving him but when he's sleepy he does not want to be messed with at all! I've done the techniques the above poster mentioned and they help but he is not broken of this behavior. I'm hoping that with persistence we can make him stop though.

Daisy Mae gets growly when she is tired late in the evening before bedtime. Not overly so, but as the OP described above....
    We give her a stern no, and exhibit no fear as to not reinforce this behavior. When she growls when playing we immediately stop the play activity for a couple of minutes in the hope that she realizes this is inappropriate behavior.
    Except for when she is tired, (grouchy), she is not typically a 'growly girl' as we call her when she acts this way!

Pipi did this to me one time so i hold her tight and told her NO in a very firm voice... she hasn't done it since. they just need to know who's boss.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by aileen231 Click here to enlarge
    Hello all! We have 2 Bostons, Lilly who's 2 and Olive our 11 week old. Great Sweet dogs, love cuddling and playing.

Olive is full of Moxie and very playful. The Breeder mentioned when handing her to us that she can have a little attitude. So we laughed and said oh that's cute. But... lol

She loves to sleep on us while downstairs on the couch, and god forbid we have to get up or move her. Right now I want to state we say her name and make her alert that we are right there, and slowly pick her up.
    She will growl, and if you don't put her down it escalates. She will get more growly and angry and try to snap at you.

Its not just when she is woken up, last night my husband was holding and petting her and then went to give her a kiss and she snapped at him. I have googled the crap out of this and not much has come up. And no one agrees on one solution.

We have been holding her on our lap till she calms down and telling her a firm no.

I kinda feel like when I ignore it, it goes away faster the growling, then when I confront it. But I really am nervous, she is gonna be a 20 pounder. I don't want someone to wake her up wrong someday and she bites them.

Our other Boston Lilly never ever has done that. Is it normal puppy behavior? I really don't think so, but maybe she will grow out of it??

Anyone ever experienced this before? I do think its mostly when she is tired and grouchy.

And I know someone will say maybe don't move her or kiss her. But in this case I don't think she should get to call the shots. And poor Lilly she gets so upset when Olive starts freaking out. Lilly will jump up and get in the middle, lick my face.

I guess I am trying to see who's had this happen before and what did you do about it and did it ever go away?

I have noticed if I scoot her around using the blanket instead of picking her up, she does not growl. Oh by the way I can touch her all I want when she is sleeping and pet her, just not pick up.

+ Reply to Thread