Issues With Potty Training....... Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ChelseaLynn

Thread: Issues With Potty Training.......

Default Issues With Potty Training.......

Ok so we have 2 Bostons, Lilly who is 2 and trained. Also Olive 12 weeks old and has issues during the day while I am home.

We have a townhouse with our own private backyard. I take her out every 2-3 hours, after napping, playing, and eating/drinking. But she choose a rug right by the front door, and its behind the couch sectional for her spot.

I will take her out, she will go pee and then 20-30 mins later tinkle a small amount again, but on the carpet. I will be outside with Olive and lilly for about 15 mins in hopes the will go potty. But they play alot. If I try to just take out Olive, Lilly stands at the slinding door looking sad and distracts Olive.

Poor Lilly trys to poop and pee in peace and Olive is right there in her business, which of course upsets lilly.

I put the rug by the front door, because the first week we had Olive my husband was suppiosed to be watching her and she destroyed part of the carpet by the front door. Not good. Whats done is done.

So I put a big rug there so no more destruction. But miss thing loves pooping on it and peeing by it. The peeing not so much, its the pooping which is annoying and stinky. Just the last 2 days she did this. We went out she went pee and poop then 5 mins later I see her pooping over there.

We babygate her in the kitchen during the day, and she uses the pads mostly. And she sleeps with us at night. Most nights she sleeps all the way thru like 7-8 hours. Sometimes we do have to go in the middle of the night. she will wake me though.

I was wondering, my husband and I were gonna rent a carpet cleaner thing when we were done with potty trianing. But I was wondering if I did it now, would that somehow help deter her from going over there? And getting a new rug?

Lilly was amazing and quick with the potty trianing. So this is new to us, having issues. I feel like we are getting there, but its slow going......

Any advice would be great!!!!

P.S. we dont crate train. I understand the benefits, that it would most likly speed up the potty thing, but I cant crate her during the day and then agian at night.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

they are both very cute but i have no idea about the potty business... i'm having problems there too but most of the time she'll go to the potty pad and just do a drop so she'll be given a treat and she actually runs to the kitchen and looks up at the counter where her treats are (smart little thing). sorry!!!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by aileen231 Click here to enlarge
    Ok so we have 2 Bostons, Lilly who is 2 and trained. Also Olive 12 weeks old and has issues during the day while I am home.

We have a townhouse with our own private backyard. I take her out every 2-3 hours, after napping, playing, and eating/drinking. But she choose a rug right by the front door, and its behind the couch sectional for her spot.

I will take her out, she will go pee and then 20-30 mins later tinkle a small amount again, but on the carpet. I will be outside with Olive and lilly for about 15 mins in hopes the will go potty. But they play alot. If I try to just take out Olive, Lilly stands at the slinding door looking sad and distracts Olive.

Poor Lilly trys to poop and pee in peace and Olive is right there in her business, which of course upsets lilly.

I put the rug by the front door, because the first week we had Olive my husband was suppiosed to be watching her and she destroyed part of the carpet by the front door. Not good. Whats done is done.

So I put a big rug there so no more destruction. But miss thing loves pooping on it and peeing by it. The peeing not so much, its the pooping which is annoying and stinky. Just the last 2 days she did this. We went out she went pee and poop then 5 mins later I see her pooping over there.

We babygate her in the kitchen during the day, and she uses the pads mostly. And she sleeps with us at night. Most nights she sleeps all the way thru like 7-8 hours. Sometimes we do have to go in the middle of the night. she will wake me though.

I was wondering, my husband and I were gonna rent a carpet cleaner thing when we were done with potty trianing. But I was wondering if I did it now, would that somehow help deter her from going over there? And getting a new rug?

Lilly was amazing and quick with the potty trianing. So this is new to us, having issues. I feel like we are getting there, but its slow going......

Any advice would be great!!!!

P.S. we dont crate train. I understand the benefits, that it would most likly speed up the potty thing, but I cant crate her during the day and then agian at night.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

I'm not much help either, although your girls are adorable.

I'm currently having issues with mine during the day while we are at work and she is in her crate. She can hold it from 3-530pm and from 11pm-7am but can't (or won't) from 10 am, when my hub leaves for work, and 12:30 when he comes home on his lunch to check on her. So frustrating that he needs to clean her crate during his lunch - really not what he'd like to be doing I'm sure. She pees and poops before he leaves for work and pees again before he goes back after lunch, so I'm not really sure what her deal is. Maybe we need to cut her water off after breakfast and see how that goes.
    Click here to enlarge

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

My puppy had a problem where he would be on any carpet around. Thankfully our place is laminate but I had mats at the front door and our sliding glass door. Well I ended up removing those because they were pee magnets and I was fed up with washing them at least once a day.

When she pees on the floor are you cleaning it with a special urine cleaner from the pet store? If you just wipe it up and clean with regular cleaners your puppy can probably still smell the urine which is why she is going in the same areas. We use the Nature's Miracle which neutralizes and cleans the urine. You can use it on carpet, tile, laminate etc. and it ensures the urine smell is gone. It has worked great for us.

Also if she is playing lots she will have to go often. We also have 2 dogs. We just recently adopted our 2nd dog Diesel who is almost a year old. Him and Simon our pup play constantly and since having Diesel we've been having to take Simon out more often because he is drinking more water and running around more. Simon can hold his bladder for 8-10 hours at night but he is lying still, sleeping, and not drinking water. So during the day it's completely different.

My Boston puppy is very slow with house training. He did great for a long time and all of a sudden he's been going again inside the house. Just make sure to clean the areas she pees on the carpet and other flooring with a cleaner that is designed to eliminate the smell of urine. What we have done now is just taken away more of his freedom in our house. Now he is always in our line of view and we block off an area so that he can't go out of our sight and pee (which he was doing). So we just monitor him closely and always have him where we are. If we can't watch him he is either in his xpen or his crate until we're done doing what were doing and can watch him. That's really the only way we've been able to stop more accidents is just watching him every second and in the crate if we're not able to.
    Thatirishgirl likes this.

I second chelsealynn. Nature's path is awesome!

I have a pup who is almost 9 months and I can say pretty difinitively that he is potty trained. We used something called umbilical training where he was always on a leash when we were home. That way I could see him. He was a sneaky pee-er so this made it so if he did try and go on the carpet I would catch him right away. It is a lot of work though. We always verbally praised him for going and also gave him treats every time he went outside. Now everyone thinks its hilarious that my dog pees on demand. All I have to say is "go potty" and he goes. Positive reinforcement and a watchful I go a long way.
    Click here to enlarge

Thank you for all your advice!!! I am using a dog spray, its not Natures its a green bottle. But I am almost out so I will go get Natures Brand.

She did great the other day then last night was terrible. I fell asleep while watching a movie with the hubby and I forgot the food and water dishes, they were left on the ground. So the girls ate right before bed time Click here to enlarge

Ok Can I ask if this has happened to anyone?
    I will take the girls out and they will pee or poop. Then 10-30 mins later the puppy will go agian in the house. Its the worst right before bed. I will take them and they go, then like 15 - 20 mins later Olive will pee in the bed. I have blankets in the middle for the dogs to nest in so at least its only soiling the blanket not the bed.

Also last night Olive decied hey I can jump off the bed in the night. Its a king size bed too. But we have a reclining chair at the end so Lilly can jump on and off the bed easily. So Monkey see Monkey do.

SO last night she woke me at 1230am to pee. 230am, then 330am to poop, then 530 she pooped on the floor in the bedroom. Also a few times we woke up to see her on the floor looking at us, wanting back on the bed.

Also latley her poops have been soft poop. I need to make sure its not a health issue with the vet. But my dogs this last week when they go outside have been finding twigs and its a game to steal the twig from each other and then eat it. I dont know if twigs can make them sick.

So I feel like I am going crazy now! lol Click here to enlarge I am almost thinking I should crate train this one, but she is 3 months old. I dont know if its too late, also I dont know if I am strong enough to attempt this now, sleepless nights.

Any advice would be awesome.......

She keeps pooping on the rug by the front door. I want to remove the rug, but I am afraid she will then poop on the real carpet. Since her poop has been soft latley, I am scared to try.....

Click here to enlarge

+ Reply to Thread