4 month old girl, humping? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By aileen231
  • 1 Post By AndyP
  • 1 Post By L.west

Thread: 4 month old girl, humping?

Default 4 month old girl, humping?

Ok So I know dogs hump for different reasons. But Olive our 4 month old puppy has been humping Lilly our 2 year old. Right now Lilly doesnt care much and kinda lets her do it, untill its annoying and moves away from her.

Has anyone every delt with this before?

Is Olive just trying to be top dog (sorry for the pun!) ? How long will she do this? Is this what a 2 female dog home is like?

Just curious?

Cheers
    Lindsey
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ham412 likes this.

My eight week old pup at the time would always do it to me..and after we got our other Boston fixed he would still try to do it to other dogs and his fur sister...they do it for dominance...:-)

Funny thing is Lilly our 2 year old did it to one toy, and only that one toy. Even after being fixed, the vet said it was dominance too.

But will Olive always want to hump Lilly? Its kinda pervey!

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

I read the title of your thread and laughed. The whole reason I wanted a girl is so I didn't have to deal with humping and Abbey started humping when she was just a baby. First it was just a toy and then it moved on to me. When I told my trainer about this she told me to do exercise similar to these:

1. Stand straddling the dog, with the dog's head facing forward. Place your arms around the dog, just behind the front legs and lock your fingers together under his chest. Lift the dog's front legs up off the ground, for a few seconds at first, and then gradually increase the amount of time. If the dog resists or struggles, interrupt with a firm "No!" or "Tsst! (this one worked great for me)
    2. Once the dog is comfortable with exercise 1, trainers will move on to this exercise: Place the dog into a "down." Flip the dog onto his side and maintain a hold on his scruff with one hand and place the other hand on the dog's rib cage and maintain eye contact. Speak sharply with a "No!" or "Tsst!" if the dog struggles. Once he relaxes, speak soothingly and rub his rib cage area, slowly moving toward his belly. Once the dog is comfortable doing this exercise while on his side, advance by flipping the dog onto his back and performing this same exercise.
    3. Never allow a dog to challenge your authority. If a dog snaps, growls or acts dominant (i.e. mounting or humping a human's leg) this must not be ignored - the situation must be handled calmly and with the authority of an alpha. Flip the dog onto his back, grasp the dog's scruff and make eye contact, while firmly saying "No" or "Tsst!" at any inappropriate feedback. The dog will calm and submit, and only then can he be released. The dog must then be ignored for a period of five to ten minutes following the incident, thereby discouraging inappropriate behavior as an attention-seeking method.

The last one isn't exactly what my trainer said to do. She just told me to pick her up and flip her on her back so her belly was exposed and hold her there until she was calm.

If she's just doing it to your other pup they will probably work it out themselves. Thanks for making me smile... Thinking back to that little baby puppy humping her toy made me giggle.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by aileen231 Click here to enlarge
    Ok So I know dogs hump for different reasons. But Olive our 4 month old puppy has been humping Lilly our 2 year old. Right now Lilly doesnt care much and kinda lets her do it, untill its annoying and moves away from her.

Has anyone every delt with this before?

Is Olive just trying to be top dog (sorry for the pun!) ? How long will she do this? Is this what a 2 female dog home is like?

Just curious?

Cheers
    Lindsey
    This is common. My puppy is male and he started humping at 9 weeks old!!! He went through this stage where he would always try to hump my leg!!! Now we have a 2nd dog and he tries to hump him all the time!!! A lot of it can be that they are trying to be dominant over the other. They may not even know why they are doing it. It's like a child entering adolescence where they don't know what's going on with their body haha!!

It's completely normal. I always just kind of say "Simon stop" and clap my hands then he stops. My other dog doesn't seem to care if SImon does it to him. Sometimes when they are playng they do it to each other lol that is when I know it's about dominance. My puppy wants to be the leader but our 11 month old dog is bigger and older so he wants to be the leader so they hump each other back and forth like hey no I'm dominant haha

I forgot to add like everyone else said when it is between two dogs they will work it out. It's all about dominance so it's best to let them figure it out between the two. But if it's a human I'd do like mentioned above and try to discourage it. But between dogs it's not a big deal. They are just figuring out who is what in the pack. Our dogs have been together now for 3 months and they are still trying to figure it out as Simon really wants to be seen as the leader between the two of them.

This one is good for a laugh:

My in-laws' female JRT humps when people are being intimate... She literally rams herself against the door until it opens (crap door latches) and then jumps in bed with the people and starts humping them.

It is the most awful and awkward thing ever.

Vet says its a combination of dominance and hormones....
    Dana and Sheila likes this.
    Click here to enlarge

That is too funny!!! My female boxer (now passed away) used to try and hump my husbands leg only - she never tried it with me. I think she knew I was the boss and daddy was a big pushover - lol
    ChelseaLynn likes this.

i was under the impression that they hump if they're excited... which could be with just a toy. Pipi has done it a couple times but it's no big deal.

+ Reply to Thread