What's wrong with my pup? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's wrong with my pup?

Young Pup

Default What's wrong with my pup?

I feel like my 15 week old pup is dirtier than most. We've had her for 3 months.

First of all, she eats her own poop which I know is normal for some pups, but it just seems she goes the extra mile. For instance, she will poop while we are monitoring her and afterwards she begins eating it we tell her no and approach her. She will instantly run away, then circle back around and put some in her mouth. We then tell her no again and she runs away then comes back around until she gets it all. She knows it's wrong but doesn't care. We've switched her food to Blue Buffalo Freedom (grain free) for pups which made her poop smell less but still no avail. We even give her supplements that are suppose to help with her poop eating but they don't seem to work at all. She also takes NuVet vitamins which would hopefully eliminate the theory of them lacking some nutrients in their food.

Secondly, she doesn't seem to care much where she poops/pees. She will go in her crate right in front of us, she won't bark or cry or anything. Today my wife begins her new job, which means its the first time we leave her alone for the day, so we put her in her pen to eat breakfast while we got ready. I come back maybe 3 minutes later to check up on her and she pooped right by her bowl! Even though she didn't eat it for some reason, that's still sick.

We've heard people say that it might be on the breeder and that they had them living in their own poop and such but we took her in at 8 weeks of age. Doesn't her mom clean up after her at that age? Or shouldn't 3 months be long enough to break that habit. I wake up in the middle of the night sometimes twice to taker her out, she hardly ever spends more than 1 hour at a time in her crate. Her crate is divided really small, almost to the point where we feel bad (though she does have room to turn around). We removed the bedding too. Sometimes crate training works because we will get home after a couple hours out to no accidents and when we take her outside she poops and pees instantly which tells me she was holding it. Other times she will go right after we bring her in. We're losing our patience with her, and her bad habits keeps us from hugging and kissing her because she stinks or because we know where her mouth has been. Anyone out there have similar issues??

I dont have any advise yet, but I am kinda going through the same thing. Except my Olive is 5 months old and just last night I caught her eating her own poo twice! SO gross, I feed her Taste of the Wild but I am gonna go to the Speacial Dog store tonight and see about switching her to grain And Potato free. Maybe that will help, but whats so odd is that I have never well ok I think once have I seen her do this and all the sudden she decieded yeah eat my poop that sounds great! lol

I can only think maybe, because we had a good snow strom here in Utah and it was her first time with snow, which she love btw she just eats it, the snow lol. But she pooped inside last night twice, which she hasnt done in a while. But maybe to not get caught? I dont know.....

So gross and wierd.

If I find out anything I will let you know!

Young Pup

Hi sorry to say but there is just some dogs/puppies that are just "dirty dogs". There can be two puppies from the same litter that are completely opposite. One that's super clean and one that doesn't care much about sitting in their own mess. My mom just had a litter of three Boston's and there was one out of the three that would always poop in the whelping box while the other two would always hold it until they were brought outside, and that's since they were 3-4 weeks old and the puppy did it right up to the time it was 8 weeks. So sometimes there's not much you can do except keep consistent with the training and hope she grows out of it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Okay for the poop eating, I myself have never owned a dog that has done that (just saying as a disclaimer) but is there any way for you to pick it up right away? Or maybe leash her when you take her out? I wwould just think that if she can't get to it, it might eventually break the habit.

The crate, when we got our pup the breeder had trained him to go in the crate (made it extra large with a pee pad on one side) so it took a couple months to get him to stop peeing in his crate. Made it extra small, yes to the point of feeling as if it were cruel (so maybe 1ft x 1ft, he was pretty small at the time) so he could barely maneuver and anywhere he went he'd be laying in it. We also made sure to take him out every two hours until he started to understand. Some Boston's can take an exceptionally long time to potty train.

Have you talked to your vet at all about the poop eating problem?
    Click here to enlarge

Young Pup

Yes, the Vet said it was normal in some dogs and that they sold stuff to make their poop unattractive to the dogs, which I used to no avail. Most of the times I pick it up right away, but sometimes we let her go out and she will go to the far corner of the yard to do her business and she will get to it before we get to her. I always keep a treat in my hand as she's going and most of the time she will run towards me for the treat and we go back inside, other times she will come get her treat and turnaround to go eat the poop. And the worst case is when she just ignores the treat and eats her poop right away. I'm going to try and carry some cayenne pepper with me and sprinkle it on the poop and leave it out there so that if she eats it it stings her. It also seems that she only likes fresh poop (yuck), if it's been out there and dry she won't eat it. And the worst part is that she LOVES eating rabbit droppings, which is terrible because of the potential for parasites, but I spend hours cleaning out the mounds of rabbit poop only to have her find stragglers that stay behind and munching them down. She has yet to get sick but I know there is high risk in that.

I guess the only thing I could recommend is to be consistent. Pick up her poop every single time. The reason I'd advocate that more than the cayenne is because I know some dogs that actually like Hot Peppers. If you don't want to leash her when she goes, you should be hovering over her. Also, test the cayenne out before relying on it.
    Click here to enlarge

Young Pup

Our dog ate her own poop. I left for a week and my mother watched her, and ever since then she doesn't touch her poop. Whether it's outside in the yard, or if she has an accident inside. She used the "clap your hands and shout no" method when she saw her sniffing around it. I'm torn. Because I know this method is said not to work and can make your pup afraid to poop in front of you (poop shy) and can make potty training harder, but for Penny it worked I guess... I don't like the idea of it, but I was gone for a week and... well that's what happened.

My bostons never ate their own poop but my toy poodle, Meeka, did when she was a puppy. I mean it was so bad she was trying to eat it as she was pooping.(yuck) I always pick it up right after they are done but sometimes it wasn't quick enough. It was like an obsession to her. I talked to her breeder about it and she told me that her vet said to get Dawn dish liquid with a tiny bit of water in a spray bottle and spray it on the poop and leave it there. I did that and told her "leave it" when she would go at it. When she would turn away I would praise and treat her and tell her good "leave it." I don't know if your pup will respond to the leave it part but the Dawn deterred Meeka from eating it and as quick as she started that gross habit she stopped with the trick. Good luck!
    The only way to stop puppy mills is to stop buying the puppies.
    Puppy millers rely on internet sales to hide the true nature of their business.
    visit humanesociety.org/puppymills for more information

Young Pup

@1bostonluvr
    Click here to enlarge - I'm glad to hear there are dogs out there as dirty as mine LOL. Thanks, I will definitely give that a shot.

Speaking of, yesterday I got home to some poop that my pup miraculously didn't eat but did for some odd reason step on which made her stink and made the poop stink even worse. I do hope she grows out of this nasty stage, or should I say grow into being disgusted by her feces like most dogs.

+ Reply to Thread