Anyone else trying to quit smoking?? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone else trying to quit smoking??

Default Anyone else trying to quit smoking??

I am trying to quit smoking!! I am 31, with asthma, I only smoke out side, so not around my girl, or the pups!! So anyway I bought nicoderm cq, I have worn the patch for 4 days, it's going great. But everytime, I see someone smoking, or go outside when hubbie is smoking it drives me crazy. Click here to enlarge
    But I need to quit because I have cronic sinus infections, and can barley breath in the morning. Plus I'm scared of becoming that wrinkley old woman, with no teeth, and smoke smell all over me!! Also pulling the oxygen tank behind me, that would be attractive, right!! Anyway I have already smoked for 15 years. So it is very hard to stop!! When I don't put the patch on, I am very grouchy, and have PMS symptoms from hell!! Anyhow I needed to vent, and this is the only place on the net that I go to chat, any comments or wisdom, or insites would help!! Also scared of weight gain... Help before I freak out!! LOL!! Just kidding but for real anyone ever Quit with success??

Click here to enlarge

sue

Contratulations on trying to quit. My 25 yr old daughter just started the patch about 2 weeks ago. She was the only one (besides her fiance) that smoke in our family, so it really bothered me. I dont want her to get sick or stinky or whatever else comes from smoking. I dont want to control what she does, and I dont, but I just worry about the health side. I wish you and her the best of luck. There are 100 reasons to quit but I cant think of any to keep smoking. Keep trying!!!
    tolson261 likes this.
    Click here to enlarge

I've heard some good things about Chantix, but its pretty pricey. Good luck with the patches, hope they help! I've quit a time or two (didnt stick for long) but what helped me was cutting back when I smoked the most. Like in the car, or skipping between classes. I did pretty good that way, but everyone at work smoked and I eventually just gave in. Its much easier if you really want to, I just didnt want to that bad. Good luck!

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

I hope you can quite HarleyGirl1, its important to stay healthy! I know you can do it!

I can honestly i have never tried a cigarette or anything else remotely similar! I have no desire to!

Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada

Good luck HarleyGirl.

I quit cold turkey about 8 years ago and found it to be easier than I expected.

I really do hope you can quit smoking. My mother is dying of lung disease and suffering from peripheral vascular disease (both related to smoking) right now and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. She used to just have asthma, chronic cough and shortness of breath, but now it's so much worse. I never realized it could stay so bad for so long.

Best of luck to you. Whatever it takes is worth it. My Mom quit smoking in her 50's, but the damage had been done. She is now in her 70's, but has no quality of life.

Incidently, she used Nicorette Gum to quit. That was before the patch and some of the other new meds that are around. A lot of hospitals offer smoking cessation programs as well.

Let us know how you are doing!

Harleygirl,

Good for you! I wanted to say that first off and let you know that there are plenty of people that will support you in your endeavor. I cannot relate to the feelings of smoking, as I do not smoke and never have, but I have been involved in people's lives and helped them quit smoking:

When I was serving a mission in Brasil several years ago, I was part of some over 100 baptisms and conversions. I will not say I was the purpose for these, as I definitely was not, but I was part of this many. Once, I went back and did the math and found that 68 of them had to overcome either addictions to alcohol or smoking to be baptized (it is a core belief in my church not to smoke or drink alcohol). In 58 of the people, they are still smoke/alcohol free and active members of the church. That is an incredible success rate!

I say this not to proselyte, so much as to say: I don't know if you are a member of a particular religion and I am not trying to delve into that either. I mention this to say one of the most powerful outlets for assistance in quitting one of these highly addictive habits is help from your particular church entity. Many churches have programs to help people. If you don't have a church, but are still a person of faith, I would say to pray... pray very hard. I know the power of prayer is very, very real.

I will step down off my soap box and I wish you the very best. I hope your endeavor to quit smoking will be successful and my wife and I will keep you in our thoughts. If you have any questions about some religious quit smoking programs and would like some information, feel free to PM me.

Caleb

Thumbs up

Thanks all of you for the support, it's a long road to haul!! This is the probably 10th time I've tried. All the other times were when I was working!!
    Like Ginnafer I know what thats like being around the others who smoke, and then you end up giving in!!
    Braverdave, thats awesome cold turkey!! Wish that was me!! The last time I tried the patch two years ago, I quit for 6 months, then gained 40 lbs. During that time, eww, I had just had 3 more surgeries at the time and was bed ridden, so not a good time to quit!! So thats why I went back, plus I really like them!! But my body doesn't like them!!

Sue, I am so glad that you support your daughter in that way, by not being pushy, and stuff thats great!!!!!! As all smokers know you can not quit, by any other way other than wanting it yourself. And that others constantly bugging you, makes you want to smoke more, from the irritation!!

But I feel like now is the time to quit since, I am the healed from my bike accident finally!! YEAH!! After 3 years!! Yeah 4 me!!! I do excersize each and everyday, and eat right, so this time I won't gain anything, and I can do it!!

Mina, I am sorry about your mom!! ! As I know that has got to be horrible to watch!! Also my cousins husband was just diagnosed over the weekend, of having lung cancer, and liver cancer, they are treating him aggressively, to make him better, I'll add your mom to my prayer list, to give her comfort, and you as well.

Caleb, I did ask the Lord for help, and he's taking care of it!! Thanks for your input, I am already saved by accepting Jesus as my savior! I do not believe any one is going to hell over smoking and an occasional drink, tattoos, or anything like that. But if that is the religion your church practices, that is fine, I go by the new testament, where Jesus says obey no other commandment, other than love thy neighbor, and Love thy God!! All else follows with that one simple rule!!

Anyhew, this is day 4 of the patch all is going well only 2 smokes, the one was friday morning before donning the patch, the other was this morning before doniing the patch, just woke up and really wanted one!! I really could have through on the patch, and gotten relief in about 20 mins, but reaally wanted the taste. So a lil slip no biggy, so it's going pretty stinking good!! I will admit that I'm less dizzy, still can't breath through the snoz, and coughing up mucus! YUCKY!! Detox I guess!
    I'll keep everyone updated on the progress,
    Thanks Guys, n Girls!!
    4 listening!!

Click here to enlarge

I was not placing condemnation on you, harleygirl. I don't expect people of other churches to follow the same doctrine as mine. I was putting that out there to help you understand why I had been part in so many people quitting smoking.

The whole purpose of my post is that most, if not all churches, have some form of "quit smoking" program. I don't know of many that don't... even if not smoking or drinking is not a central tenant of the church doctrine. That, in addition, to I stating the power of prayer, which you have obviously tapped into.

I was not saying that people who smoke or drink go to Hell. As a matter of fact, I never mentioned or implied Hell anywhere in my post. I apologize for the miscommunication if you took offense to my post, but I can not apologize for the words I used.

Caleb

Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada

Just to throw my 2 cents in because I can't resist theological discussions;

It's not anything we do or don't do that saves us ... it is by God's grace alone.

Solia Gratia!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast