Could be our biggest trip ever!!! - Page 2 Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could be our biggest trip ever!!!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Trumansmom Click here to enlarge
    This may be long!

I've been across this country three times, three different routes. It all depends on where your interests lie--are you interested in out history, or our beauty or both? I'll just igve you some musts.

I'm assuming you'll be docking in NYC. Spend some time there before you get your RV (parking is INSANE and expensive). See all those sites you want to see (NYC isn't that interesting to me--I grew up in NY, Upstate). Once you get your RV, tavel south to Philidelphia--it's where everything began and you can see some of our oldest buildings (they are young compared to most anything in Britain--but we're still proud of them!). You can see Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell and Betsy Ross's house. Then get a cheese steak in the spot where Rocky got one in Rocky Click here to enlarge From there, head south to Washington D.C. where you can see the Smithsonian--SO worth the trip! You can also make reservations to do a White House tour and see the important buildings that make our country run.

From there, head west through VA--the Shenendoah Valley is a MUST! If you are interested in the Civil War at all, there are a lot of battlefields to visit where Badger can run around and play. The drive is GORGEOUS and if you have time, hop on the Blue Ridge Parkway and stop at http://www.chateaumorrisette.com/ about 3 hours from D.C. There is also a lot of great hiking along there, here's an article http://www.hikewithyourdog.com/Artic...BlueRidge.html. I used to live in Blacksburg where Virginia Tech is.

Make your way through VA to West VA so you can cross over the oldest river in the U.S.--the New River. The bridge is amazing and it's one of those secret tidbits. Wave to Hillbillies as you meander your way west to St. Louis however you can. I mention St. Louis b/c it's major in our country's westward expansion. Lewis and Clark began their expedition there. Millions of pioneers stayed there to prepare to move West. 'Meet Me in St. Louis' was filmed there, and things such as the waffle cone for ice cream were invented there during the World's Fair. Watch the movie--those grand homes are still there! Visit the Arch and Budwiser factory. Then brace yourself.

You may find the Great Plains amazing, coming from an island country. They are indeed HUGE and expansive. Very flat. Very long. There will be signs for 'World's Largest Prairie Dog'. Might as well stop to see it--it's the only attraction till you hit the Rockies! If you hit the seasons right, the thunderstorms as you cross are magnificent.

The Rockies are lovely--you can hit them how you want. I like going to Boulder, CO (see the hippies and topless demonstrators--they are ALWAYS demonstrating for something there) then to Estes Park--absolute splendor! But that may take time from your trip. You can decide if you want to see that. Beware the elevation. You'll feel short of breath for a few days.

Then I'd hit Yellowstone (if you are Mormon, you may want to see Salt Lake City--if you aren't, not worth the trip, IMO). Plan to camp there for a few days to hike and see the amazing sights. You probably should make reservations to camp there.

Then I'd head north to see Montana (warning, parts can get boring between Yellowstone and Montana). if you are meandering, see Glacier National Park--opens in June. Really great lodge there, so you can get a break from a camper.

Head west through Idaho and WA--lots of great wineries in Eastern WA, so look online and see which ones you want to sample. You can route through Seattle, and I LOVE Seattle (hey, I live here) but in all honesty, Vancouver is like Seattle on steroids--you get all the great things about Seattle plus even better access to Dim Sum.

I left out California because that can be another trip once you are settled in Vancouver. A drive down the coast is always a treat, so plan to take a week to drive down to L.A. and back.

You may want to read up on some American history to make the drive more interesting. I'll poke around to something readable and fun! You may also want to watch some movies. I mentioned 'Meet me in St. Louis'. "American Flyers' is another (cycling movie in the Rockies), 'Cold Mountain' (for VA), Possibly 'John Adams' miniseries--heard great things about it, but haven't seen it. 'The Devil Wears Prada' is helpful for NYC--they used many classic NYC sites. 'Rocky' for Philly.

Hope that helps! This is an amazing country to see. But don't discount eastern Canada--Prince Edward Island is a MUST in the Summer. My family had a cottage there for years and it's such a wonderful place to visit. Go there on a separate vacation. Stay for a week in lobster season. Ontario is also gorgeous--all those huge barns in the countryside. So beautiful. Montreal is worth seeing as well.

Have fun planning! You can work with AAA to map a route for you and they will send you a map with the route highlighted to make travel more efficient Click here to enlarge

Thank you so much for the very useful information I intend to do a very detailed plan / scrap book for the trip if / when we get the yes from Canadian Embassy (still keeping everything crossed).

The main reason for the trip is to see the way many different people live and try as much as possible to get by using independent businesses rather than chains. The second reason is to expand my photography portfolio by seeing and capturing as much as possible.

When we get to Canada all the road tips will be to see as much of Canada as possible and all it's beauty Click here to enlarge

We had an excellent documentary here by Stephen Fry as he traveled across the US so it gave us a good idea of places to see.

Some more general info that would also be useful is how dog friendly is the States (I know this will vary but a general guide) We will have the two dogs with us at all times so I was wondering how difficult this was going to make things.

It may be hard to avoid chains as in many small towns, especially 'in the middle' have been taken over by Wal Mart (it *is* a local US chain, lol!). Then they get the fast food chains and many small businesses get forced out of business. But, it'll be fun trying!

As far as dog friendly, no restaurants will allow dogs, nor any food-related businesses besides pet stores. Seattle is a bit better--I can take Truman into many stores here. Would be a good Google search for the dog-friendly states and cities.
    Click here to enlarge

If you ever come to Toronto, let me know. Sounds like quite the adventure!

Click here to enlarge

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Would love to visit Toronto at some point Click here to enlarge

A surprise letter yesterday now tells us we are through to the final stages of the Visa application. So if the medical is all clear we are Canada bound Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Liberty - Will you be posting a blog? I'm very interested in how things go with the dogs on the QE2. Is there any quarantine required when you bring your dogs into the States, or into Canada?

Trumansmom gave some great info, but I must disagree about NYC. It's a great city to spend time in. Times Square, central park, Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral - all in Manhattan. You can walk the streets sight seeing and not spend any money at all. You'll see lots of dogs on the street. Just keep them leashed and pick up after them.

Washington DC is great also. Many things to visit there that are free.

Places in the US will vary regarding their dog friendliness. I'm in Florida and my city allows dogs at outside restaurants. This may be true in many other cities too.

Keep us posted about your trip!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Liberty Click here to enlarge
    A surprise letter yesterday now tells us we are through to the final stages of the Visa application. So if the medical is all clear we are Canada bound Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Sweet....i bet you guys are excited!!!

Click here to enlarge
    Sally is Septembers Cutest Dog!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terminator Click here to enlarge
    Liberty - Will you be posting a blog? I'm very interested in how things go with the dogs on the QE2. Is there any quarantine required when you bring your dogs into the States, or into Canada?
    I will be doing a blog of the whole trip Click here to enlarge There is no quarantine when bring animals from the UK as we do not have rabies here. They both have a pet passport but I'm not sure they need one for States. So we will just get on the ship in Southampton and sail to NYC it will take 6 days.

If your coming through Missouri, definately check out St Louis. I think a lot of places around the Arch are dog-friendly as far as restuarants, and if you have a dog-free day you have to check out the City Museum. Think the opposite of an actual museum, its like a giant playland for all ages. We went last weekend, I'll have to post some pictures but if you get the chance, its a blast.
    Some 70,000 puppies and kittens are born daily in the US.
    4,000,000 to 6,000,000 pets are euthanized every year because they are homeless,
    11,000 to 16,000 pets are euthanized every day because they are homeless.
    An animal in a shelter is killed every 1.5 seconds.
    Only 1 animal in 10 born in the U.S. gets a good home that lasts a lifetime.

Thanks Ginnafer will start some planning in the next few weeks Click here to enlarge

We are hopefully going to buy land when we get to Canada and build a house from shipping containers so much to get excited about Click here to enlarge

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast