Could be our biggest trip ever!!! Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could be our biggest trip ever!!!

Default Could be our biggest trip ever!!!

As some of you will know we are currently in the middle of the visa application to move from the UK to Vancouver BC.

If we get the yes (always keeping everything crossed) We will sail from the UK to NYC on the QM2, the only boat that will allow the beautiful Badger and Mouse to travel in style.

We will then hire an RV (pretty sure that's what you call a big camper van over there) and take 1 month to travel across the States to Vancouver.

We have always wanted to make the trip so hopefully it will all work out.

So any recommendations, routes, places not to miss, things we should know but may not?

Thank you in advance

Well if your going to be in Wisconsin during the 19th you should come to the Boxer Bash!
    http://www.bostonterrierforums.com/m...wi-anyone.html

Are you excited for your trip?

Whats your state route? If you are going to to the quickest way to Canada you may only hit some mid states and more northern states, or do you have the option to zig zag and go where ever you want to?

Click here to enlarge
    Sally is Septembers Cutest Dog!

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like a fun trip!!! I'm in eastern Canada so I don't have any advice about the States. You'll love it in BC, the mountains are amazing!!

Click here to enlarge

What all states do you plan on visiting? It sounds like a fun trip Click here to enlarge
    Some 70,000 puppies and kittens are born daily in the US.
    4,000,000 to 6,000,000 pets are euthanized every year because they are homeless,
    11,000 to 16,000 pets are euthanized every day because they are homeless.
    An animal in a shelter is killed every 1.5 seconds.
    Only 1 animal in 10 born in the U.S. gets a good home that lasts a lifetime.

sue

jrvl - keep reminding me of the boxer bash. I would love to bring Emma.
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sue Click here to enlarge
    jrvl - keep reminding me of the boxer bash. I would love to bring Emma.
    Haha I'll try!

But I'm not sure if I can go Click here to enlarge My mom is going to be working with her downs clients. She says she won't be able to find anyone to cover for her because no one is available that weekend. So I don't know what we are going to do.

This may be long!

I've been across this country three times, three different routes. It all depends on where your interests lie--are you interested in out history, or our beauty or both? I'll just igve you some musts.

I'm assuming you'll be docking in NYC. Spend some time there before you get your RV (parking is INSANE and expensive). See all those sites you want to see (NYC isn't that interesting to me--I grew up in NY, Upstate). Once you get your RV, tavel south to Philidelphia--it's where everything began and you can see some of our oldest buildings (they are young compared to most anything in Britain--but we're still proud of them!). You can see Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell and Betsy Ross's house. Then get a cheese steak in the spot where Rocky got one in Rocky Click here to enlarge From there, head south to Washington D.C. where you can see the Smithsonian--SO worth the trip! You can also make reservations to do a White House tour and see the important buildings that make our country run.

From there, head west through VA--the Shenendoah Valley is a MUST! If you are interested in the Civil War at all, there are a lot of battlefields to visit where Badger can run around and play. The drive is GORGEOUS and if you have time, hop on the Blue Ridge Parkway and stop at http://www.chateaumorrisette.com/ about 3 hours from D.C. There is also a lot of great hiking along there, here's an article http://www.hikewithyourdog.com/Artic...BlueRidge.html. I used to live in Blacksburg where Virginia Tech is.

Make your way through VA to West VA so you can cross over the oldest river in the U.S.--the New River. The bridge is amazing and it's one of those secret tidbits. Wave to Hillbillies as you meander your way west to St. Louis however you can. I mention St. Louis b/c it's major in our country's westward expansion. Lewis and Clark began their expedition there. Millions of pioneers stayed there to prepare to move West. 'Meet Me in St. Louis' was filmed there, and things such as the waffle cone for ice cream were invented there during the World's Fair. Watch the movie--those grand homes are still there! Visit the Arch and Budwiser factory. Then brace yourself.

You may find the Great Plains amazing, coming from an island country. They are indeed HUGE and expansive. Very flat. Very long. There will be signs for 'World's Largest Prairie Dog'. Might as well stop to see it--it's the only attraction till you hit the Rockies! If you hit the seasons right, the thunderstorms as you cross are magnificent.

The Rockies are lovely--you can hit them how you want. I like going to Boulder, CO (see the hippies and topless demonstrators--they are ALWAYS demonstrating for something there) then to Estes Park--absolute splendor! But that may take time from your trip. You can decide if you want to see that. Beware the elevation. You'll feel short of breath for a few days.

Then I'd hit Yellowstone (if you are Mormon, you may want to see Salt Lake City--if you aren't, not worth the trip, IMO). Plan to camp there for a few days to hike and see the amazing sights. You probably should make reservations to camp there.

Then I'd head north to see Montana (warning, parts can get boring between Yellowstone and Montana). if you are meandering, see Glacier National Park--opens in June. Really great lodge there, so you can get a break from a camper.

Head west through Idaho and WA--lots of great wineries in Eastern WA, so look online and see which ones you want to sample. You can route through Seattle, and I LOVE Seattle (hey, I live here) but in all honesty, Vancouver is like Seattle on steroids--you get all the great things about Seattle plus even better access to Dim Sum.

I left out California because that can be another trip once you are settled in Vancouver. A drive down the coast is always a treat, so plan to take a week to drive down to L.A. and back.

You may want to read up on some American history to make the drive more interesting. I'll poke around to something readable and fun! You may also want to watch some movies. I mentioned 'Meet me in St. Louis'. "American Flyers' is another (cycling movie in the Rockies), 'Cold Mountain' (for VA), Possibly 'John Adams' miniseries--heard great things about it, but haven't seen it. 'The Devil Wears Prada' is helpful for NYC--they used many classic NYC sites. 'Rocky' for Philly.

Hope that helps! This is an amazing country to see. But don't discount eastern Canada--Prince Edward Island is a MUST in the Summer. My family had a cottage there for years and it's such a wonderful place to visit. Go there on a separate vacation. Stay for a week in lobster season. Ontario is also gorgeous--all those huge barns in the countryside. So beautiful. Montreal is worth seeing as well.

Have fun planning! You can work with AAA to map a route for you and they will send you a map with the route highlighted to make travel more efficient Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Trumansmom; 08-31-2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Atrocious spelling!
    Click here to enlarge

Wow that's awesome Liberty! I don't have any advice, I just wanted to say congrats and I hope you guys have fun!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ginnafer Click here to enlarge
    What all states do you plan on visiting? It sounds like a fun trip Click here to enlarge
    We plan to take between a month and two months depending on finance and I would like to see as much as possible. San Fran, Yellowstone, NYC, and many many more Click here to enlarge

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast