Puppymill awareness day Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Debra&The Fur Kiddos

Thread: Puppymill awareness day

Default Puppymill awareness day

As I sit and watch zoe and kyzer run in the yard this morning I can still hear the distant barks of numerous beagles that are kept at a nearby hunters house.this hunter takes pride in his dogs but it still erks me to hear the distant barks of his dogs knowing they are so similare to those of the many I hear on the many videos I have seen of dogs living in puppymills.if any of you on this forum do not know or are not aware of what a puppymill is please let me educate you.MILLIONS of puppies are sold each year to PET STORES from breeders that have hundreds to thousands of dogs used just for breeding purposes.these dogs are not your everyday house pet.they live in horrid conditions,have poor health conditions and most of the time NEVER see a vet or even know the touch of a human hand.a story of a woman who was a well known "puppymiller" for years (1997 till now) is kathy bauk.a CAPS investigator went and worked at her kennel "pick of the litter" and found things he'd never thought of.IUrge you guys to look the video up on you tube..CAPS vs.Bauk And watch it for yourself. And even look up puppymills and see what you find and educate yourselves on why purchasing puppies from pet stores,online, craiglists,in newspapers,and at flea markets is a risky thing.I am only posting this because so many know nothing about this and as lomg as we educate we can end these puppymills and put a stop to the neglect and cruelty to our beloved human comapanions.thank you.
    ChelseaLynn likes this.

I'm so glad you posted this. Many people aren't aware of puppy mills or think they don't exist where they live. Puppy mills are everywhere! Do research when buying a puppy. You want this puppy to be with you as long as possible so do your due diligence to ensure that this puppy is healthy, well bred and that the parents are health tested. Go to the breeders house and view it! That will give you an idea of whether this is a puppy mill or backyard breeder. YOu can tell a lot about how a person interacts with their dogs. Meet the parents and other dogs. Ask LOTS of questions. When I went to my breeders house I went with a huge list of questions and she was happy to answer them all. A responsible breeder will be happy to answer all your questions! If I breeder doesn't want you to come to their house then that is a warning sign. Why not? If they say somethign like they don't feel comfortable having strangers over well then say I'm not comfortable getting a puppy from you and not viewing the parents and where the dogs are living. Being a breeder means you will have people coming to your house. If you get uncomfortable or get a bad feeling leave and do not get a puppy from this person. Follow your gut!! Don't get caught up in all the cute puppies and think you are "saving" your puppy. You aren't. You are funding their shady operation and the more people buy from them the more there are going to be!

Puppies who come from puppy mills are at risk for many health problems including deafness, hip dysplasia, juvenile cataracts, luxating patellas, etc. Puppies from puppy mills can end up costing an arm and a leg with all of their health concerns. Do your research before you purchase a puppy. The internet is such a great resource for finding out what to look for in a breeder. If a breeder is willing to let their puppies leave before 8 weeks of age this is another sign that this breeder doesn't care about the dogs. Puppies should NOT leave their siblings or mother before 8 weeks of age. Many breeders actually recommend the puppies to stay longer. It doesn't matter if the puppy is eating solid food at 6 weeks they need the socialization from their siblings to start them off on the right track behaviourly. They learn proper doggy behaviour, they start to learn house training, etc.

Here is a great website on what to look for in a breeder and it actually lists many warning signs:
    http://www.pupquest.org/

If a breeder is USDA licensed/approved RUN AWAY. USDA is the United States Department of Agriculture. They deal with livestock. Is your puppy livestock??? NO! USDA approved breeders are OFTEN puppy mills!! The USDA also doesn't monitor closely at all. Read about USDA breeders at the pupquest.org website!

Here is a great article on what to ask the breeder and why. It says CKC in it because this is Canadian but just replace CKC with AKC.
    http://www.csrbc.org/pdfs/before_buying_a_puppy.pdf

The AKC website also had lots of great info on what to look for in a breeder and also information on what you need to do before purchasing a puppy:
    http://www.akc.org/future_dog_owner/...ying_a_dog.cfm

I have noticed that a lot of people don't even do research on the breed they are thinking about getting. THIS IS SOOOO IMPORTANT!! What if the breed personality doesn't fit with your lifestyle? You need to read about the breed to ensure this dog is going to work for you. Boston's are known to be VERY HYPER especially when they are puppies. Are you ready/prepared to raise a puppy that is going to require lots of time, energy and patience? Boston's are often tough to house train. How do you feel about this? Are you prepared to spend lots of time, energy and patience on house training? Are you going into this thinking it is going to be so easy and the puppy will be house trained within a week? Are you prepared for normal puppy behaviours like biting, nipping, jumping up, chewing, barking, etc? Don't go get a puppy with a false sense of it being easy! It's not!

I highly recommend the book "Boston Terriers for Dummies". This book is cheap and has information on the breed and on raising a puppy. I bought this book before we fully decided on the Boston breed. I wanted to ensure I knew as much as I could about the breed and about puppies in general so that I could decide on whether I was ready for this and even had the time and patience. This book is amazing. It gives tips on picking a puppy, breeder, house training, crate training, feeding, walking, health concerns, etc. Please do homework and ensure you can afford a puppy. They aren't cheap at all!!

Please don't buy from a puppy mill, backyard breeder, or pet store!! Do research and ask lots of questions. The internet allows us to have so much information at our fingertips! It only takes minutes to do a google search and come up with many great articles!!!

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge OUTSTANDING WORDS CHELSEALYNN!! All we can do is educate and pray the words we pass on keep going!

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Debra&The Fur Kiddos Click here to enlarge
    As I sit and watch zoe and kyzer run in the yard this morning I can still hear the distant barks of numerous beagles that are kept at a nearby hunters house.this hunter takes pride in his dogs but it still erks me to hear the distant barks of his dogs knowing they are so similare to those of the many I hear on the many videos I have seen of dogs living in puppymills.if any of you on this forum do not know or are not aware of what a puppymill is please let me educate you.MILLIONS of puppies are sold each year to PET STORES from breeders that have hundreds to thousands of dogs used just for breeding purposes.these dogs are not your everyday house pet.they live in horrid conditions,have poor health conditions and most of the time NEVER see a vet or even know the touch of a human hand.a story of a woman who was a well known "puppymiller" for years (1997 till now) is kathy bauk.a CAPS investigator went and worked at her kennel "pick of the litter" and found things he'd never thought of.IUrge you guys to look the video up on you tube..CAPS vs.Bauk And watch it for yourself. And even look up puppymills and see what you find and educate yourselves on why purchasing puppies from pet stores,online, craiglists,in newspapers,and at flea markets is a risky thing.I am only posting this because so many know nothing about this and as lomg as we educate we can end these puppymills and put a stop to the neglect and cruelty to our beloved human comapanions.thank you.
    Wow....just wow. ;-( My whole body felt sick while watching that. I couldnt even finish, I just couldn't. ;-(( Thank you for sharing, It was very informative

+ Reply to Thread