Ugh! This is so frustrating! Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ugh! This is so frustrating!

Young Pup

Default Ugh! This is so frustrating!

It's not about Bostons in particular, but about dogs nonetheless.
    *rant*
    I'min my 20's so a lot of the people I know are fairly young. There's this one girl, who's 21, has two kids under 3 years old, and the father is not involved. She doesn't have a job or anything.

The other day she was talking about getting a puppy, and I was telling her don't do that, they're a lot of work esp with two little kids and they're EXPENSIVE. I suggested she go to a rescue and get an older dog who's already housetrained and is good around children. Because puppies don't know their boundaries and need a lot of time for training/socializing etc etc.

Her response? "No. I want a puppy, a real puppy. not a shelter dog. i have two kids I can handle it."

This woman cannot afford grocersies let alone vet bills.

At the very least I tried to tell her not to get a difficult first time dog owner breed. Such as a Lab, people don't understand their energy level and mouthyness, or a terrier because they're "small and cute" but really they're little terrors as pups, I kept listing.

So what does she do? She gets the one breed I desperatly told her not to get

A husky -_____- (i love huskys. I just know they're incredibly hard to have as your first dog when you don't have the time to take them out and know nothing about them other then "they're cute fluffballs")

I know from the start that dog is going to end up on craigslist in 3 to 6 months and it just infuriates me.

I hate ignorant people who don't understand that the perfect family dogs they see in movies, aren't the reality of owning a puppy. They take work!

Granted, I have my first puppy now, but my partner and I discussed it for over a year, found a breeder, did research, and took the time to get her. and our other is a rescue and she's wonderful. But we are STILL researching and learning what's best for our dogs.

I just HATE people who go buy petstore pets, know nothing about them, and will end up putting them online to make some of their money back, not caring to put them into a rescue or a nice home.

hear ye hear ye! ive seen a number of friends over the years get a dog on a whim and end up giving it away in a few short months because "its too expensive" or "im too busy" or "it poops and pees all over my house" or even worse, "i realized i want a smaller dog"
    Its heartbreaking and I hate the fact that dogs are little more than accessories these days. Like, what did you think having a dog was?? Free vet bills and dog food, magical dogs that NEVER have accidents, poop that doesnt smell?????

I wanted a dog SOOOOO BAD for the last 5 years but knew my life was not right for having a dog at the moment - i was in full time uni, working 3 jobs, broke, busy, and lived with a roommate. then when I finished school I got a job but my commute was 70 min each way and i worked long days, so having a dog at home just wouldnt work. Finally when I got the job I have now, which I'm planning on being my lifelong career job, I live alone, I have $ and time to spend on a dog.....then I adopted a dog. I also adopted an adult BT rescue because I've never been the sole caregiver of a dog or puppy before and I don't know the first thing about training a puppy! And although I have always been a long time lover of Big dogs, I knew that my place I rent only has a tiny yard and I didn't trust myself to be active enough to take a big dog for 3 walk/jogs a day.

Dogs are a lifelong commitment!!!!!! They don't understand when you give them away!

Right there with you. A co-worker wants to breed her pit bull because "she would produce such beautiful pups." i volunteer at the animal shelter and about 90% of the dogs are in the pit family. And the other day an idiot came in looking for a "big strong healthy female pit to breed with his male." How stupid can a person be - come to a shelter and make that announcement. Of course the dogs are spayed/neutered before they are adopted. Sure took all my self control to keep my mouth shut. Fortunately he left without anyone having to make a scene.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Young Pup

Ugh. Seriously? What kind of fool goes to a shelter expecting to get an intact dog? There's thousands of pits in the shelters here. Stories like this make me so angry.

well pretty sure its the same ed hardy wearing douche bag who wants a pit bull in the first place cos that's the ultimate wannabe gangster white trash dog to get to watch your goods in your mobile home from getting jacked and ride shotgun in your ****ty 90's ford mustang on your way to watch the ufc fights.
    ARGH lol
    its too bad because i LOVE pit bulls their gorgeous and usually just the sweetest personalities. Most of them are just real love buckets.

+ Reply to Thread