Eats to fast - Page 2 Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eats to fast

Young Pup

My Buster also inhales his food, though he hasn't spit up anything (I'm thinking the pieces are small enough). What I have been doing is adding a little bit of water to his food, which slows him down some, as well as getting him enough water during the day.

There are also special balls you can get at Petsmart that go right in the food dish, kind of a moveable obstacle in the way of the food that makes them slow down their eating b/c it's in the way. I've never used it, but heard it works.
    Let us know what works for you though. Our newest pup, Cali, eats crazy fast too. She's never choked, but I'm sure it's not good for their tummy's to inhale their food the way she does.
    Click here to enlarge
    "Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car,
    in case the need should arise for them to bark violently
    at nothing right in your ear." - Dave Barry

All-American Dog

One thing that's worked for me before is spreading the food out on a really large cookie sheet. Rocky still manages to eat fast, but not as fast! Some dogs are prone to eating fast, no matter what their weight. I also add water to Rocky's food, mainly because it's grainless. The water doesn't slow him down in the least. Click here to enlarge Congrats on you new puppy! He may be sluggish because he's unsure of his new environment. Your vet will be able to give you better information.
    Beth, Mom to Rocky Balboa (born 2-28-10)
    Click here to enlarge

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

I've seen dog bowls that have divider things in them so that the dog cant eat so fast. My boxer Angel would do that sometimes and I would keep and eye on her if she did I'd say wait softly and normally she would stop and look at me and wag her tail and it gave her a second to breathe! So far Bella is eating well Click here to enlarge
    -Sonja (Bella's mom)

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oxfordbostons Click here to enlarge
    The most effective way to prevent 'gulping' is to elevate the food bowl. We adopted an 8 month old female who was in almost the same condition. She would literally inhale her food. By elevating the bowl (where she is eating at about 60 degrees), she has been able to eat slower and probably enjoy her food more too. Use a block of wood to raise it up and you can adjust it as needed. This has been great for our Roxy. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    I found this to work the best as well, when I got Ruble he was used to sharing food with so many puppys so he would eat way too fast. At first i would just hold the bowl in the air so it was a little harder for him to vacuum the food, then randomly I found little boosters for his bowl at a store and he used those for about 2 months. Now he doesnt need anything, cayse he knows the food will always be there.

All-American Dog

Rocky also inhales his food. To combat this problem, I put his food in a flat-bottomed large storage container, so he has to work at getting each piece of food, due to the food being spread out more. he still eats fast, but it's better than it was. The container is square-shaped, so Rocky has to work at getting the kibble out of the corners, further slowing him down.

I know that feeding in a stainless steel bowl or a ceramic bowl is better, but ya gotta do whatcha gotta do! I just make sure to wash the container out carefully.
    Beth, Mom to Rocky Balboa (born 2-28-10)
    Click here to enlarge

Young Pup

We all know fast eating is really harmful for us. Its a bed habit. Slow eating rate doesn't have any negative effects on your health, Eating slowly gradually reduces the appetite from the time you begin to eat.
    Here some harmful effect of fast eating:-
    Alzheimer's Disease
    Stroke
    Heart Attacks
    and The high levels of sugar and fat in many fast foods will keep patrons coming back for more

Young Pup

Default What to feed the Boston Terrier

I raise AKC Boston Terriers and as a breeder, I find that science diet is great for their dietary needs. They make an adult small byte and also a puppy small byte. But, there is a dietary supplement that I swear by. It is called the Missing Link by designing health inc. I have had puppies shipped that stress out and loose weight or dehydrate and I find if I use this dietary supplement, it brings them right back to normal quickly. I also give it (a teaspoon in their food) to my bitches before, during and after whelping. It works great. Usually can find it at any vet place.

here in mexico i saw a "bowl" the other day that was almost like a game, different places and sliders that the dog had to move to get into the food... not sure if my boston would get his nose into that but i thought it would be a good idea, we got one of those go-slow bowls but although it has slowed him down, not much. I had my bostons kibble in one of those big round plates that opened on a timer 3 times per day... the boston, at 4months old worked out that by lifting the plastic lid that surround the timer and stepping on it, the bowl would rotate and feed him again..... so that didnt work so well!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12