Eats to fast Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eats to fast

Default Eats to fast

my wife and just got Bam and he is super thin so we put him on puppy food. We feed him this moring and he was choking on his food from eating to fast. What is a good food for him? He is 3. and was at a mill for 2 years. i think he thinks it will be his last meal. We are going to the vet on monday. He is sluggish and seems sad all the time.

The most effective way to prevent 'gulping' is to elevate the food bowl. We adopted an 8 month old female who was in almost the same condition. She would literally inhale her food. By elevating the bowl (where she is eating at about 60 degrees), she has been able to eat slower and probably enjoy her food more too. Use a block of wood to raise it up and you can adjust it as needed. This has been great for our Roxy. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Last edited by oxfordbostons; 02-26-2009 at 05:47 PM.

People have been having some success with the Brake-Fast bowl. http://www.brake-fast.net/

I am going to order on ebay because they don't sell them in Canada.

Cheers,
    Click here to enlarge

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada

Congrats on rescuing Bam ! Sounds like he enjoys his food ... too much.

If he is skinny and hungry then I think it's only natural he will eat too fast. Hopefully he slows down a bit when you fatten him up.Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Facci Fazzoo Click here to enlarge
    People have been having some success with the Brake-Fast bowl. http://www.brake-fast.net/

I am going to order on ebay because they don't sell them in Canada.

Cheers,
    A friend uses one and it works I have the opposite problem in getting her to eat..

Good luck at the vets! I would leave food down at all times, just so he knows he will have food whenever he wants. Thats the big problem with mill dogs, they dont have food a lot of the time. If you decide to leave it down all the time for a while until he knows he will always have food, make sure he doesnt get too much. The website I want to post isnt working for me right now, but I'll post the url and maybe you will have better luck getting it to work.

www.anewstartonlife.com

Rehabilitation of a Puppy Mill Dog
    Some 70,000 puppies and kittens are born daily in the US.
    4,000,000 to 6,000,000 pets are euthanized every year because they are homeless,
    11,000 to 16,000 pets are euthanized every day because they are homeless.
    An animal in a shelter is killed every 1.5 seconds.
    Only 1 animal in 10 born in the U.S. gets a good home that lasts a lifetime.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by braverdave Click here to enlarge
    Congrats on rescuing Bam ! Sounds like he enjoys his food ... too much.

If he is skinny and hungry then I think it's only natural he will eat too fast. Hopefully he slows down a bit when you fatten him up.Click here to enlarge

I agree with Dave, I think he will slow down when he fatten's up!

Buster is exactly the same way. He doesn't even chew his food. We bought a bowl similar to the one Stella suggested. It definitely slows him down. Instead of 15 seconds, I think he eats in 45 seconds now. I'm not sure where you live, but we are in the U.S. and bought the bowl at Petsmart.

Opie eats every meal as though he hasn't eaten in weeks. I bought a dish to slow him down from Petsmart too, but he couldn't gete his nose down in it good enough to eat at all! I had an microwave bowl that has ridges in it, so I use that. And it's a large bowl so the food is spread out rather than being in a pile. He has to work a little harder. Like Mena said - he eats in 45 seconds instead of 15.

Was the bowl this http://www.brake-fast.net/index.htm ? There are some other things you can do first thing you can feed a bunch of small portions one at a time, so Opie does not gulp the whole thing down at once. You can also throw a bunch of small toys in with the bowl so Opie has to eat around them. Is Opie a puppy? My vet says puppies will eventually learn to slow down as long as you do not have another dog eatting at the same time. Otherwise you may have to separate them while eating for a while. My puppy gulped her food when I first got her because she had to compete with her litter mates to eat. Once she realized she did not have to compete, she now grazes throughout the day. Click here to enlarge

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast