First time Boston Owner - need advice Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First time Boston Owner - need advice

Young Pup

Default First time Boston Owner - need advice

Hello, we adopted our Bella on October 13th from a rescue here in Fort Lauderdale. She is 5 years old, housebroken and crate trained. She adjusted pretty easily much to our surprise. However, over the last week or so, she has begun to urinate on one particular spot in my bedroom hallway, occasionally on the kitchen floor mat and tonight, in her crate. .

She is walked approximately every two hours since we got her (except overnight when we are all sleeping-she sleeps with us since the first night). She is only in the crate when we are gone. I work days and my fiance works nights so she is almost never alone. Not sure if it is a separation anxiety thing (when she went in her crate) - or if she is "marking her territory" like a male would. There is a 2 year old cat in the house as well has Bella.

If someone could shed some light, it would be appreciated. We love her to death - she is the sweetest most affectionate girl. I would hate to have to get doggie diapers for her to wear at times to keep my carpet and her crate dry. Looking forward to your responses. Thank you.!

congratz on ur rescue!!!!!!!!! isnt it impossible to believe someone wouldnt want that bundle of boston love??
    im not sure why she would be doing that but I would try to keep an eye on her and when she pees there catch her in the act and give a firm, loud NO! and immediately pick her up and put her outside. Also reserve treats for when she goes outside only for awhile - even though she's trained she needs a good reminder. another thing that might help is put a heavy object over the spot and every time she sniffs it and lingers in that spot give a firm NO. dont even let her smell that spot. the GREAT thing about bostons is they pick up on things pretty easily!!!!!!
    honest to goodness since I moved to my new house about a month ago my Littledog was peeing as soon as I let her out the front door - poor thing was trying to avoid peeing in the yard full of deep snow. But of course I couldnt have her peeing on the front step so I just corrected her for about three days in a row with NO and then moving her quickly to where she could pee and after she was done, rewarding with a treat - she picked it up so quick and now even in fresh snow there is no hesitation to use the yard and not path.

Could she have a bladder Infection? I know mine have had them before and thats like the first sign. Maybe have her checked out if it doesnt stop.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Young Pup

Thanks for the advice. Someone else suggested a possible infection to me today. I will definitely get her checked out.

+ Reply to Thread